7 Shrines to Visit this Holy Week in the Philippines

Christ the Redeemer Shrine in Misamis Occidental

Holy Week is just around the corner and a lot of Filipinos are anticipating this season to have a quick escapade to the beach and get some refreshing dip in the sea while achieving a glowing tan skin. 
But for us Catholics, this week is more than just a holiday to take a break.’ Tis the time to reflect and commemorate the sacrifice and sufferings of Jesus Christ for mankind. 
As such, there are some Holy Week practices and tradition that people do to manifest their penitence this season such as walking long kilometers barefooted under the scorching heat of the sun and doing Visita Iglesia wherein you visit 7 churches to pray. 
With all the family trips, solo travels, blogger escapades, and fieldworks I did for almost a decade, I was inspired to make this list of shrines you can consider visiting this Holy Week. 
And yeah, giving you 7 places from around the Philippines. It’s like having a nationwide edition of Visita Iglesia

1.     Callao Cave, Cagayan
Chapel at Callao Cave

Nestled across the Pinacanauan River, Callao Cave in Penablanca,Cagayan,is a nature and worship sanctuary rolled into one. 
To reach the cave you have to first climb 184 steps up the hill. As hard as it may seem, you will definitely not feel the rush since trees and flora sprawling around the area are waving slowly with the cool breeze. 
Upon entering the cave, you will not only be welcomed by  the nippy temperature but also its small dainty chapel. What most people find amazing is how the natural light emanating from a crevice above flickers directly to the altar. How truly majectic!  
My photo does not really justify what I am depicting, since I visited the place late in the afternoon and I only have my GoPro camera with me. It is best to check the area in the morning.  
After citing your prayers, there are different chambers inside the cave you can explore.
You are required to have a guide with you when you go visit the caves. When I went there in 2017, I just have to give a tip to my tour guide which happens to be a teenager. He mentioned that he usually does this during weekends so he will have allowance for school. So, guys, please don’t feel bad being generous on giving tips.
How to get at Callao Cave from Tuguegarao City?
From Tuguegarao City ride a tricycle to the palenke then you can take a tricycle going to Penablanca, the trip will take atleast an hour or more. After such, you have to rent a boat to cross the river. I paid 10Php for a round trip ride. But reading some blog posts, I think it depends upon the season. 

 2.     Kamay ni Hesus, Quezon
A shot somewhere along in one of the Stations of the Cross

Kamay ni Hesus Shrine is located at Lucban, Quezon making it very accessible via bus and private vehicles from Metro Manila.  Besides the 50 ft tall statue of Jesus Christ, the property also houses a replica of the Noah’s Ark and a retreat house. 
Healing mass are held in their small chapel as well. Stations of the Cross are also situated upon traversing the 300 steps up to the ginormous statue.  
How to get at Kamay ni Hesus from Manila? You can ride a bus going to Lucena from Buendia for less than 250 Php. Upon reaching Lucena you can take the jeepney going to Lucban for just 20Php.

3.     Mt. Tapyas, Coron, Palawan

With the cousins on the viewdeck
 I think it was in 2011 when I braved climbing up the 700+ steps of Mt. Tapyas. I was with my whole clan for a family vacay, and it was my first time to know that there is this big steel cross atop this mountain.
Among all the shrines I’ve visited I think this has the greatest number of steps I’ve encountered. 
And its kinda hilarious that while my cousins and I are panting tremendously and sweating profusely up to the peak, we noticed one person who seems tirelessly going up and down the stairs for about 2 lapses now. The tour guide mentioned that he is a boxer and having his daily warm-up. Now that's one good workout.

Unlike, other shrines in this list, I think this place is less sacred. Not intending to offend anyone here. Yet, I think the iron cross was installed there merely for an accessory rather than for worship purposes. Nevertheless, it is still a nice place to commune with nature and God.  
How to get at Mt.  Tapyas from Coron Town Proper?: Just commissioned a tricycle going to Mt. Tapyas and you can start stretching your muscles up to the view deck.

4.Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Shrine, Bogo City Cebu

Yes, Cebuanos have always been vocal about their devotion with Sto. Nino but I think they also have a strong faith to the blessed boy’s mother: Mama Mary.  I realized this was true when I first saw the Bogo Shrine in 2016 during one of my fieldworks. 
Among all the shrines in this list, this statue of Mama Mary is not gigantic in size.
How to get at Bogo Shrine from Cebu City? From Cebu North Terminal take a bus going to Bogo City. The shrine is very visible from the highway and is impossible to miss. 

 5.     God the Father Shrine, Aklan,

If you're planning to stay at Boracay this Holy Week, then might as well check-out God the Father Shrine in Nabas, Aklan. Just a mere 20 minutes from Caticlan Jetty Port you can see the well-famed Boracay Island in a different perspective and be mesmerized by Nabas Windmills from the other side.
How to get at God the Father Shrine from Caticlan Jetty Port? Ride a van going to Kalibo from the port and ask the van to drop-off you off at Nabas. The shrine is visible from the highway, 

 6.     Divine Mercy Shrine, Misamis Oriental

Perhaps, with all the places I’ve visited, this is the most holy. 
Upon entering the vicinity, people wearing short shorts, skirts, sleeveless or too revealing tops are asked to put on shawls. There are some scarves that the caretakers are lending to people. 
If I can remember it correctly, you will be also told to avoid from making unnecessary noises.  
There is a praying platform situated exactly at the heart of Jesus’ monument. And only one individual at a time can pray at the platform, giving you a chance to revere the Lord.  
I visited this place in October 2010, and I can still remember how I felt something slowly touching my body giving me some cold sensation and some goosebumps. No exaggeration included. But I believe the Holy Spirit was there with me.  I was just there alone talking to the Lord, not noticing that my tears are starting trickling down on my warm cheeks. And yes, my prayers were answered a month after that trip. 
 7.     Christ the Redeemer at Caluya, Misamis Occidental

Surely, the almost 200 steps up to the shrine will make you catch your breath but the view from the top will definitely take your breath away. The shrine is a  replica of the Jesus Shrine in Rio de Jainero, Brazil, and facing Caluya Beach.

How to get there from Ozamis City? Here's a commute route for the solo soul searchers. From Ozamis City, ride a bus going to Calamba Bus Teminal.From Calamba Bus Terminal you may rent a habal-habal going to the Christ the Redeemer Shrine or Caluya. Usually they will charge you 80 Php for a round trip tour.   
So that ends my list. A total of seven locations with more than a thousand steps to reach. Indeed, it is significant for one’s body to have a breather from all the stress life can give but it is equally worth it for our mind and souls to be free from worries. Have a fruitful and solemn Holy Week for everyone. 
Do you have any other shrines that did not make it in this list. Share us your story on the comments section below.


Comments