10 Tips to Renew your Passport Fast



For the longest time, processing government IDs and documents has been a pain in the ass. Then again, I was surprised last Monday when I renewed my passport because it only took me 21 minutes to do such. Yes! you read it right. A mere 21 minutes and I was done.
What added with my surprise is the fact that I was done before my parents were,considering that they were in the senior citizen courtesy lane. Perhaps, because there were a lot of senior citizens that time.
I renewed my passport at DFA Pampanga at Robinsons Star Mills since it is more accessible from Bulacan and my parents would not like to stress themselves out of Manila's heavy traffic.
I think most of us knows that passport is an essential document:whether you use it for its purpose as a necessary travel document or use it as just a mere valid ID.Though, its importance is apparent, most people are still lazy getting this small booklet. Why! because of the notion of inconvenience securing one.
Then again let me just give you tips on how you could maximize and even expedite(in a legal way) your transaction at DFA.
So here we go.  
1.Set an appointment
Of course,tip number one is to set an appointment. Why am I emphasizing this step? Simply because there are people who are not admitted in the office because they don't have an appointment. 
Based on what I heard with the security, only senior citizens, PWD and pregnant women can do walk-ins so please don't forget to set an appointment on the DFA's website.  (www.passport.gov.ph)
2.Opt for the nearest DFA office
Research on the nearest DFA satellite office in your area. Some selected malls also have DFA passport renewal center.So better take the patience of researching rather than take the hassle of queuing in long lines. 
3. Be on time!
I am not referring to Filipino time when I said be on time. They are really strict in implementing the schedule. In fact, they will not let you in early unless it is already your designated time of your appointment.
4.Prepare your documents

Before setting foot inside the DFA passport center, a staff will brief you with the necessary documents:valid and old IDs,birth certificates,marriage contracts, and old passports. 

Most of the passport renewal offices would have photocopy kiosks available. Yet, I suggest prepare copies beforehand so you'll avoid queuing in lines.
Also, don't forget your printed application forms:the page with the barcode. I know you're used to presenting your airplane tickets on your phones or tablets but this does not work that way.
5.Wear appropriate clothing
This is something new for me.As far as I can remember, the only rule about clothing is to have a collared  shirt. Then again, I was surprised that people who were wearing shorts are not admitted inside.
Other prohibited clothing are sandos,sleeveless,mini skirts,skirts with high slits  
On the brighter side, if you're renewing inside a mall then you can still have the option to buy prescribed clothing.

6.Remove your earrings and any accessories
This works for males and females.Remove your earrings or any accessories such as eye glasses or shades since the photographer will ask you to do so anyway.
7.Remove your contact lenses beforehand
I don't wear contact lenses but I assume wearing and removing such is not as easy as applying your mascara especially if you're in public place.
The staff from the DFA did mention to remove colored contact lenses and did not specify to remove clear contact lenses. Yet, doing such shall save you from the inconvenience and unsightly scene of poking your eyes in a crowded place. Hell no for me!
8.No use of cameras inside the processing area
Again, this is something new for me. For security purposes, you cannot use any gadgets inside the passport processing center. That means, you cannot update your Facebook or IG feeds with the ATM hashtag or even accommodate any calls.
Kidding aside,remember that adhering to rules will make your experience less hassle.
9. Prepare Exact Amount for payment
Remember how you often see small signboards in front of cashiers asking you to prepare exact amount.This is not posted for no reason at all.Apparently, preparing exact amount is synonymous with lesser time in the cashier.
Regular processing fee amounts to Php 950 whereas rush processing would cost Php 1,200.Release of passport for regular processing would take 25 days. If you'll opt for rush processing, you can get your passport after 10 days.
You can also take advantage of the delivery services of your passport. I think prices varies depending on your location. 


10. Don't forget to have your photo taken
And for the final step. Don't forget to have your photo taken. I know you're asking why would I remind you of this step. Sounds stupid,right? Yet,believe it or not, some people forget to have their photo taken and leave after they already paid and secured their receipts. 
I know,passport photos are possibly the most unflattering photo you will ever have besides your drunken photos posted by your friends on your social media profiles but please don't forget this crucial step.
So what are you waiting for?Don't fall with the old misconception of spending a whole day in processing your passport. Visit the DFA website and click that appointment button.
Do you have stories to tell in securing your passport? Share your stories at the comments section below. 

Comments