8 Sidetrips for Boracay

View from God the Father Shrine


I really think that Aklan is such an underrated destination. Why? ‘coz a lot of people have the notion that Aklan is just Boracay: no more and no less. Whereas, Kalibothe province’s capital—became a mere gateway to the world-famous beach. 




Yet, with my frequent travels in the said island. I was lucky enough to explore a lot of hidden tourist spots that is just waiting to be discovered. 

Whether you are heading to Boracay for a Valentine quick escape or planning to join the festivities of Atiatihan, these places must be included in your itinerary. 





The tree for banig making
1. Laserna Cold Springs: With Aklan’s mountainous area, it is no doubt that there are waterfalls and springs hiding somewhere. 
In my previous trip last November, I got to see one of the waterfalls at Barangay Laserna, in the Municipality of Nabas. 
I really enjoyed walking toward the spring since you’ll get to pass by some native trees you don’t get to see often. Like the trees they use for banig making.
After a short walk, you’ll be sure to get refreshed with the super cold waters from the spring.


How to get at Laserna Cold Springs? Since the Municipality of Nabas is just next to the Municipality of Malay wherein the Caticlan port is located, frequent trips to the municipality is available for 70 pesos. Just ask the driver to drop you off to Laserna. Then you may rent a tricyle going to the spring.

One of the bamboo bridge at Bakhawan Eco-park
2. Bakhawan Eco-Park:Experience tranquility and serenity through walking the 1.3-kilometer bamboo paths of Bakhawan Eco-park while feasting your eyes with lush greeneries, hearing the chirping of the birds serenading your senses, and feeling the cool breeze touching your cheeks.I have been to the Bakhawan areas in Subic, Cebu, and in even in Misamis but this one is my fave mangrove park by far. 

The Bakhawan Eco-park is a manifestation how a certain community succeeded its combat to preserve mother nature. In its aim to mitigate risk of flooding and storm surges, the mangrove reforestation project in the area started in the 90s and the rest they say is history. 
BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE, there is an IG-worthy sandbar that awaits you at the end of the trail.
How to get at Bakhawan Eco-park?You have two options, either you rent a tricycle from Kalibo to take you there for 50 pesos or take the regular tricycle trips at the Kalibo Public Market going to Barangay New Buswang: the tricycles have signage by the way so it will be easy to determine. Just tell the driver to drop you off to Bakhawan. If I am not mistaken, this is the last drop-off point. 

It would only take a mere 20-minute ride going there and 11 pesos. Yet, it would take time to wait for a tricycle to get back in the capital. I suggest you commission the tricycle driver to wait for you and rent them for a special trip. 

Entrance Fee: 150 pesos for tourists

3. It Akean Museum: If you’re walking around the capital’s center you’ll definitely stop to appreciate the façade of It Akean Museum. As mentioned earlier, I have been visiting Aklan for a lot of times now. And I find it so ironic that I never had the chance to check on the stuff inside the museum.  
The It Akean Museum photo by rovingroxie

It is really unfortunate for my part that whenever I am done with my field assignments, the museum is already close and whenever I have free time it is close because it’s a weekend. I hope one day I can explore this Kalibo’s pride. 

4. Tangalan Church: I am a firm believer of the power of prayers that whenever I go in a foreign place, one of the first things that I look for is the area's Catholic Church: I always make it a point to make a wish and pray for my safety. Besides having some quiet time with the Lord, I also enjoy exploring old architecture and interiors. 
I know Spanish colonial architecture for Catholic Churches is something common in the Philippines. But I still find it interesting to examine the intricate details of each structure.
Facade of Tangalan Church in Aklan

Again, on your way to Caticlan from Kalibo, you will surely pass-by and be amazed by this quaint church of Tangalan. Though it sad that the interiors of the church was already renovated. The façade’s architecture is truly a must-see. 

5. Washington Seaside: Definitely a haven for Oysters lovers and seafood eaters. A kilo of talaba would cost less than a hundred bucks.
I had a bad experience with oysters before so I just marveled myself with some equally delish seafood which are also available.



6. Sampaguita Gardens: Best for families, Sampaguita Gardens is a toy store turned into a mini theme-park: I must say. Your kids will definitely love this place, with it’s fairy-tale castle inspired store building and a vast collection of mini-Christmas village items on display.  
Sampaguita Gardens in Aklan by rovingroxie

They say that this area turns into a Christmas village during December. 

Nabas Aklan Windmills

7. Nabas Windmills: If you think you can only see windmills in Ilocos Norte or Pililia, Rizal, then you’re wrong. You can also get hypnotized by the slow graceful motion of the Nabas Windmills. 
There is something in these giant electric fans that made me ecstatic and too excited. It’s like being a child again with that feeling of being in awe seeing a gigantic robot within your reach. I even cracked a joke that perhaps the area’s temperature was kinda cold ‘coz they have a lot of big electric fans to cool them. :p  
Nabas Windmills perspective from God the Father Shrine
One thing I’ve learned from the locals of the area is that windmills are rotating toward the direction of the wind: Amihan or Habagat. Learning this trivia amazed me even more. Since I don’t remember my primary teachers taught me this before. Indeed, you will learn a lot more when you go outside the confines of your classrooms 

How to get at Nabas Windmills?


It is easy to take a van to Nabas since every van that goes to Caticlan traverses in the area. Plus, it is impossible to not notice the windmills, not unless you’re sleeping. Yet, climbing up the hills to the windmills will be a struggle. There is no public transportation up the hill and I don’t think tricycles can take you there. I did not notice any habal-habal available in the area. Perhaps, you should plan ahead and rent a private van up the hill. It is just 10-15 minutes away from the highway going to Caticlan Port.



Entrance Fee: Good news! There is no entrance fee going to the area but I’ve learned that some locals would charge you certain fee. Just be mindful of this.

8. God the Father Shrine: Perhaps, the newest addition to the long list of tourist attractions in Aklan, the God the Father Shrine is quite visible in the highway going to Caticlan Jetty Port from Kalibo. 

You can have a 360 degree view of the island on top the hill

How to get at God the Father Shrine?: Perhaps, you can ask the van to drop you off there and have a quick muscle stretch climbing up the more than 300 steps up the shrine. Also, you should not fret hitching a van to Boracay or back to Kalibo since a lot of commuter vans are traversing in the highway.  
Entrance Fee: By the way, there is no entrance fee but you can give any amount in their donation box. 


I just mentioned 8 spots. But I vouch that this places are more than just a sidetrip for Boracay.


There are a lot more places that I wanted to visit in Aklan, like the clean waters of Hinugtan beach, the Jawili Falls, and Aklan River. Perhaps, on my next visit I can get to check on these destinations and update this blog post. 

Do you have other places that we should include in the list? Tell us more in the comment areas below.

Comments

  1. hahaha!! Tara! isked natin ang mga ganap dyan! You only explored the western part but much awaited sa Eastern part of Aklan! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment