Top 4 Reasons Why Tourism in PH will not Improve ‘till 2022


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1XP9c0MaQ8DkuWjw1Aewlr80mMJRKdZxw
Despite the efforts made by the Department of Tourism in surviving the dying tourism of the Philippines, I must say that these are inadequate to sustain plenty of businesses as well as to encourage a significant number of tourists to fly again ‘till 2022.

Before the lockdown in 2020, I used to fly domestically for at least once a month. I was the kind of traveler whose clothes are readily packed inside travel cubes since we are sometimes deployed anywhere in the country. I am also the type wherein I only access my plane ticket on my e-mail whenever I am on queue in the airport. There was also one time that I have to roam around 6 different provinces via plane and boat in just a week. So I guess, I've seen how traveling domestically became a hassle this pandemic.

So I want to share the TOP 4 REASONS why the PH will not see any significant boost in tourism anytime soon. These insights were based from my recent travels since the lockdown started in 2020.


1.Requiring tourists an RT PCR Negative Test Results

Though some areas already waived an RT-PCR negative swab/saliva result upon entering their area provided you can present a vaccination card. I think this documentary requirement will still be a pain in the ass for travelers. As the country still has a low vaccination rate.




This prerequisite is such a burden for some: First, one swab test sometimes cost a roundtrip ticket to Boracay or even 2-3 days accommodation for budget hotels. Second is the high probability of canceling all your vacay plans because your swab test resulted to positive. Imagine the sudden plot twist of having a vacay to paradise to having a short staycation in a quarantine facility.


But let us give credit to DOT's recent subsidy program for swab tests. Travelers who wish to avail the program just have to register and submit copies of their plane ticket and hotel reservation to Tourism Promotions Board website. Yet, slots are limited since the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) can only accommodate two hundred swab tests per day.

I haven’t tried that program for myself ‘coz all my swab tests were facilitated by the Philippine Red Cross. So I cannot say if the program brings convenience to travelers. But I like the initiative ‘coz it addresses one concern of travelers. Yet, I hope the program will also expand to Visayas and Mindanao ‘coz the subsidized swab test can only be availed at PGH in Ermita Manila.




2. Downloading too many MOBILE APPS for TRACING

From Traze App to Stay Safe App to many more mobile apps—usually depending per LGU and per establishment— to download and get familiar with. Raise your hand if you're like me who dislikes filling-out forms.

Yes, it seems like the pandemic required us to be tech savvy but I must say that not all has the resources neither the capacity to be one. Not everyone has a reliable smart phone and access to unlimited data connection nor the skill of tech know-how.




      



Also, I find it odd that airports in the PH are implementing different protocols. I was asked to present the Stay Safe App at NAIA Terminal 2 upon check-in. But when I am going back to Manila from Laguindingan Airport I was required to present my QR code generated by Traze App.


Registering to tracing apps is not only limited in airports. Some LGUs also have their own tracing app. Say for instance, if you're residing somewhere in Pasig and you're working in Makati, you are required to register to their LGU apps to enter any establishments. And same story goes if you have any transactions in Mandaluyong or Taguig.


I think it would be easier if the PH will have a unified app. 'Coz besides the hassle of filling-out many forms, I think having one unified app will lessen the risk of exposing your personal data to various entities.


3.Implementing different procedures upon entry



This varies per LGU, aside from asking you to present a negative RT PCR swab result, roundtrip ticket, and hotel reservations. Some requires medical certificates. I don’t get the logic behind this. Why would an RT PCR negative swab result will not suffice in the first place?


4.Changing lockdown situations



If there’s one thing that is certain during this pandemic, it is the unpredictability of things. Some were fooled that we are getting back to normal then suddenly the news will surprise all of us that another stricter lockdown is here. Alas, travel plans changed or canceled.


Indeed, boosting tourism that is severely hit by the pandemic is not an easy task. Perhaps, the DOT should also include in their strategy to lobby with the National Government, LGUs, and other concerned agencies to come up with SYNCHRONIZED tracing, to impose same documentary requirements at-least per province or per region, or maybe to encourage authorities to be transparent on how they make use of the data they are all getting from all of us.

With that, I end this blog post with a hopeful soul that soon Filipinos will once again experience a travel that is as easy as clicking a piso-fare in their mobile phones.

Comments

  1. I agree to this. Super hassle. You have to check multiple websites, call max 5 numbers just to verify the requirements. 😶 hope this (pandemic) ends soon 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by my blog. But yeah, let us all be hopeful that we can experience a hassle free travel soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment