6 Tips to survive the trek to Tappiya Falls, Batad



Some weeks ago, I found myself sitting and snuggling my pillow with my sleepy head on a car’s backseat during a dreary 8-hour drive from the congested flashy highways of Manila to the zigzag rough roads of Ifugao: hail to our drivers for surviving that exhausting trip! But who am I to complain? This quick and quiet weekend chill with some of my fun-loving friends to Batad, Ifugao, was all I needed to free my troubling thoughts.

I have been to this province four times before: twice as a side trip to Sagada; once, as a side trip from Nueva Vizcaya; and once, for a medical mission in another municipality with my Mum. But never I have set foot at the calm community of Batad.

To be honest, I have this impression on my mind that this would not be as fun as my other trips since I’ve already gone in the locale for a number of times. Lo and behold, I proved myself wrong. Definitely, this short trip would be one for the books. 
It diverted my debilitating thoughts to a robust optimistic energy. Perhaps, the Gods from the mountains heard my plea. :p 
So, as a personal procedure with some of my vacays, sharing here some few tips to survive the trek at Batad Ifugao: 
1.Leave your excess baggage behind!: It may sound as a cliché but lots of people don’t take this note seriously. Batad is a community nestled on the foothills of Ifugao Rice Terraces. And as a person who is fond of spontaneity and surprises, I never adopted the habit of researching about what should I expect. So, I packed everything that I needed, including my books that gave an extra weight to my backpack, unbeknownst to me that the first activity to welcome us is a 30-minute bumpy walk to the inn.
 I recalled one of my friends saying that these are the times you’ll realized the importance of bringing what is only necessary.  So, if you’re planning a trip to this side of the mountains, remember to pack light! 

2.Wear proper footwears: There is this saying that one should wear the most beautiful shoes ‘coz it will take you to beautiful places. But my version would be, “One should put on appropriate footwears to get in one’s destination safe and sound.”  I’ve already said this before in my previous articles about caving and trying out aquaparks. And I think a lot would agree with me that this also applies in trekking to mountains or doing any outdoor activity.
 
 
I regretted that I wore my flip-flops on to our way to the inn. I should have put on my trekking sandals earlier.

Again, proper footwears will help you to get there!  

3.Keep your balance: Everyone will be obliged to stretch some muscles and walk on shallow pathways—some were paved and a lot were muddy—leading to the water falls.  I have always enjoyed long walks especially on flat terrains and on sandy seashores but keeping my balance has always been a struggle for me. I have this great fear of stumbling down like Jack and Jill, and hurting or killing myself if I tripped over. Also, I have a blurred vision which adds up to my aggravation.

But if you think it will be way too impossible to improve your sense of balance then just be sure to have someone to patiently guide you on your way.
Trek to Tappiya Falls, Batad. Photo by J.T.

4.Walk with someone: I am the type of girl who finds peace walking by myself, but it is too risky to do it here. Solo travelers have the liberty to take the trail alone in Batad.  I am not saying that it is unsafe in the locale. I can vouch, that people of Batad are loving and would be more than willing to lend a hand, but the path to the scenic spots requires strict safety precautions.

With hours of traversing high altitudes of rice terraces which are kilometers apart from the village and some 800 steps from the view deck to the water falls, I think it is better to have someone to watch over you and be there for you if a bleak incident happens. Besides, taking a journey with someone can be enjoyable.   
5.Be persistent and patient:  Getting enervated physically is normal but having persistence and patience will help you triumph the hours of walk to uneven trails.  As they say it, mind over matter.
 I can feel that my body was about to give-up: my sweat was trickling down on both sides of my chubby soft cheeks while I was catching my breath, and I can tell that my heart was about to burst. My vision was getting hazier and my knees were already shaking. But I was convinced I cannot stop in the middle of nowhere.
 Just don’t give up, okay? There is a reward waiting for you in the end. 
 
6.Take a break: Pushing yourself to the limit is admirable but having breaks in between is not harmful at all. Possibly, a quick breather to calm your pulsating heartbeat and rest your soaring limbs is all you need to keep up with your journey. 
By now, I think you’ve imagined the ordeal I experienced taking the said trail. I am certain that within our group I am the only one who struggled much.  But I appreciate my gang BIG TIME: for they guided me all the way, held my hand when I am too scared to try, motivated me not to stop, and believed that I can surpass this challenge.  
And what better way to end this blog but to showcase this magical reward by nature. Definitely, Tappiya Falls is worth all the sweat.
Photo by J.T.


Watch the highlights of the trek here!

Comments